Saturday, September 1, 2007

Merdeka!

This year's merdeka celebration was grand! Really grand. It managed to draw a really big crowd of people standing in the middle of Merdeka Square, in the eve of our National Day. The same thing happened to the Merdeka Stadium, in the evening of our National Day.

Some say that is patriotism. Some say that is an excuse for entertainment. Some say it's stupid to be sweaty in the crowd for nothing. Some say it's an experience that is a must for every Malaysian. Some say that is the symbolic of the unity. Some call it hyprocracy.

However, what really matters is, everyone is aware of the celebration. No matter what people say, the celebration is running and had run, succesfully. It has somewhat showed to the world that we, the malaysians, are doing great be it true or untrue. It's a platform for us to perform. What we want is of course a good outcome.

Ask yourself, do you know the true meaning of 'merdeka'? Why are we celebrating it over and over again every year? Why is this celebration being put so much an emphasis? What are the information that is being disseminated through this event? What is the vitality of unity? WHat is harmony?

Frankly, I did not see the importance of celebrating this event. Historically wise? Economically wise? Politically wise? Socially wise? I don't know. Anyway, for the whole of the 31st August 2007, what i knew was that i spent my whole day in MidValley Shopping Mall, enjoying the Merdeka holiday, grabbing the Merdeka sale although I'm a bit of upset because of the unusual huge crowd of people. Maybe I am not oberservant enough to notice it, or maybe I was born too far behind of 1957. You may say I take things for granted, heck, you are correct and I strongly believe it happens not only to me, and also to the few hundred thousands of the members of younger generation like me. Many celebrate it just for the sake of it. Nothing more and nothing less.

It's hard to instill the values of 'merdeka' in us but it has to be said that, most of us and in fact, all of us are patriotic. We love this nation. We love her for her peace. We love her for the freedom from disasters and catastrophes. We love the stability of politics. We love the pace of living. We love the cost of living. Most importantly, we love our home. This is the merryland where our home is in. This is where we would call home country. This is the place where I find myself most familiar with. This is where I feel at home. This is my nation. I love my home, hence, I love my nation! So, happy merdeka!

No comments: